Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pastor Adrian Rogers Sees the King

This morning I received news that one of my childhood heroes had passed on to the Lord: Adrian Rogers. I was privileged to have met Pastor Rogers as a young man. He was a bold and courageous preacher. While we would differ on several key points of theology I have a great deal of respect for him. Her fearlessly preached justification in Christ's sacrifice. He boldly took a stand against the tide of evil sweeping across our nation. He was key in the resurgence of a belief in Biblical inerrancy, not only in the Southern Baptist Convention, but in many arenas of American Evangelicalism.

As a young child visiting my grandparents sometimes I would stay at home on Sunday mornings with my grandfather. We would watch the Bellevue Baptist service together on television. I would hear Pastor Rogers booming baritone voice. I would see his reverence for Scripture. I would feel through his preaching his intense love for Jesus Christ. In all of this I was pressed forward in my own life.

Thank you, Pastor Rogers. Thank you for your example. Thank you for the encouragement. Thank you for loving our Lord.

1 comment:

Phillip M. Way said...

Indeed - our loss is his gain - to be face to face with the One who bought him with His own blood!!

We will pray for the Rogers family and for the church during this time of loss.

~pastorway